Committed to the Customer
Before opening our doors in 1993, we asked thousands of consumers what they liked and disliked about car shopping. They didn't trust high-pressure sales tactics and erratic pricing, so we made a simple decision that was groundbreaking for our industry: we committed to the principle of integrity in how we serve our customers, treat each other, and deliver our products.
"We believed from the very beginning that this business could work by using the highest ethical standard," says Scott Rivas, Vice President, Human Resources, and one of CarMax's founding Associates.
And we've been delighting car shoppers ever since by giving them:
- Low, no-haggle prices, no hidden fees, and no inflated starting prices
- 5-Day Money-back Guarantee and 30-Day Limited Warranty (60-Day in CT, MN, RI; 90-Day in MA, NY, NJ), as well as available extended service plans
- Friendly Sales Consultants that focus on finding the right car for each customer; our consultants are paid the same no matter which car a customer buys (except
- Competitive financing that lets customers see their options in minutes
- Fair, honest appraisals with an offer in writing good for seven days
- Our promise to buy any car, even if the customer doesn't buy one of ours
Our Culture and Values
At CarMax, we have taken retail's best practices and applied them to a business long held to be dubious by reputation.
Values, then, are our foundation, and through them, we seek to treat everyone—customers, Associates, and investors—with the same levels of trustworthiness and ethical consideration.
All CarMax Associates complete "Culture of Integrity" training upon starting, and annually thereafter, thus setting expectations to always "do the right thing." What emerges is a unique culture that empowers and inspires Associates to strive for ethical excellence at CarMax.
To find out more about our commitment to "competitive excellence through lawful and ethical conduct," see our Code of Business Conduct.
Here's the proof
Our focus on respect, honesty, and integrity in dealing with Associates and customers alike is made clear by our customers' satisfaction, with 95% of purchasers saying they would recommend us to a friend.
More evidence of our commitment and success is demonstrated by numerous awards, including Better Business Bureau Awards for business ethics in a variety of communities and regions around the country, as well as the BBB's International Torch Award for Marketplace Excellence in 2008.
Now is a great time to find out more About CarMax!.